Today is one of the rare days when Mike and I are both free and home and have nothing to take us away from each other all day. We’re hanging out some and being productive some and also doing our own thing but in the same room some. I’m treating today as a much needed day to devote to taking good care of myself.
But today has me thinking about how I can use my time with Mike as a lesson on how to treat myself when he is gone, especially when he’s gone for a reason that is difficult for me. Being more OK with myself is a general project of mine, but part of that is having the self-confidence and internal resources to be able to stop looking at my primary partner’s time with other girls as a threat or a competition and start looking at it as a nice thing they are doing for me by giving me some time to take care of myself and be alone.
Of course, that is easier said than done, but for me, part of it is having a plan so that I know I will not be spending the entire time watching dinosaur documentaries on Netflix and feeling sorry for myself. I’d rather save “Walking With Dinosaurs” for a time I can appreciate it anyway.
Here are some of the things I want to do more of. The general theme here is “shit that will make me feel like I am a good/productive/interesting human being.”
- Make time to spend with friends
- Drink tea while reading a book
- Write a novel-length Pride and Prejudice fan fiction and publish it online
- Take my dog on a very long walk
- Prepare a home-cooked meal
- Clean my living space
- Go grocery shopping
- Lift weights
- Practice origami
- Make myself a gin and tonic and drink it by the pool
- Get caught up with homework or reading for school
- I did not mean to rhyme there, but that’s OK, it’s cool 😉